After making sure that your family is safe after a passing storm, you need to perform a quick inspection of your property. Here’s a step-by-step guide on performing a roof inspection.
- Roof Visual Inspection – Start with a visual inspection of your roof. Taking care to avoid hazards, such as downed power lines and glass shards, look for shingles that may have blown off your roof. Use a pair of binoculars if you need to take a closer look.
- Inspect Your Yard for Roofing Debris – Keep an eye out for shingles, flashing and other debris that may have come from your roof. Even without climbing it, the debris in the yard should give you an idea of how much repair work will be needed. Wear safety boots or similar heavy-soled shoes as there may be roofing nails that got torn off along with the shingles.
- Inspect the Gutters, Fascia and Roof Edge – The roof edge bears the brunt of high winds as it hits your home so your next item on the list should be the roof edge. Pay special attention to gutter fasteners and signs of damage to the fascia. A roof with a roof coating may sustain less damage, but you should nevertheless inspect these same areas.
- Indoor Inspection – Inspect the ceiling in every room, and look for signs of water intrusion: leaks, wrinkled plywood and water stains among them. Climb into the attic, and keep an eye out for clumping insulation, water stains and holes on the roof deck. Make sure you take detailed notes and pictures.
- Call Your Roofing Contractor and Insurance Provider – You need to contact both your roofing contractor and a representative from your insurance provider as early as possible. Your roofing contractor will discuss warranty coverage, document the damage and draw an estimate of the repair costs. All of these will be required by your insurance provider for processing your insurance claim. The sooner all requirements are submitted, the sooner you receive your payout and get repairs started.
Green Tree Home Solutions is your leading provider of roofing services, including storm damage repair and solar roofing system installation. Give us a call at (618) 767-5166, or fill out our contact form to schedule an appointment.